Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 January 2013

My favourite music in 2012

The time has come to look back at all the great music I listened to in 2012. As usual I have a feeling that I've missed out on a lot of wonderful songs, but here are the songs and albums that have given me most joy the last year:

Top 5 albums:


1. Rachel Zeffira: The Deserters (CAN)
This is probably not fair to the other artists, but in the middle of Christmas preparations (and in the Christmas spirit) I discovered this album. In other words, it is my most recent favourite. That I fell for it straight away isn't that strange really, considering that Cat's Eyes (of which Zeffira is one half) topped my album lit of 2011. I've now come to the conclusion that there should be more oboe in pop music! The title track makes me all soft and happy! Dreamy and magical.
Best songs:
The Deserters
Here on in
Break the spell

2. Richard Hawley: Standing at the Sky's Edge (UK)
Sometimes I'm a bit slow. People have been praising Hawley for years, but I didn't understand why until I heard "Down in the woods". Love his baritone voice and the bluesy darkness in his songs.
Best songs:
Down in the woods
Seek it
Leave your body behind you

3. Eugene McGuinness: The Invitation to the Voyage
With his third album, this young Brit managed to attract my attention thanks to extensive radio play on 6Music. He is a completely new name to me, but his simple, but charming pop is so easy to like, I'm quite surprised he's not on the bestseller lists. Distinctive sound with a hint of 50's pop.
Best songs:
Sugarplum
Harlequinade
Shotgun (Yes, the opening is very "Peter Gunn"!)

4. Tennis: Young and old
The sweetest pop music you can imagine, but still original and never boring. Also a completely new name to me. This is their second album, and is produced by the drummer from Black Keys. The band is from Denver  and consists of husband and wife laina Moore and Patrick Riley. "Origins" is a true pop pearl.

Best songs:
Origins
My better self
Take me to heaven

5. Crystal Castles: (III) 
There is something about this Canadian duo that I can't quite put my finger on. It's electronica, a mix of pop and noise and a feeling of desperation that is strangely appealing. Their previous album also got a place on my top 5. Music for dark dancefloors.
Best songs:
Plague
Mercenary
Wrath of God


And 5 more good ones in no particular order:

Django Django: Django Django (UK)
The 2 Bears: Be strong (UK)
Hot Chip: In our heads (UK)
Bat for lashes: The Haunted Man (UK)
Grimes: Visions (CAN)

Listen on Spotify or Wimp.

My top 20 favourite songs:


Rufus Wainwright: Out of the game (USA)
Tennis: Origins  (CAN)
The Invisible: Wings (UK)
Paul Weller: Dragonfly (UK)
Cat power: Cherokee (USA)
The Shins: Rifles' spiral (USA)
Iamamiwhoami: Goods (S)
Dark Horses: Radio (UK/S)
Daughter: Home (UK)
Kathleen Edwards: Change the sheets (CAN)
Polica: Dark Star (USA)
Grimes: Genesis (CAN)
Toy: Motoring (UK)
Tindersticks:  This fire of autumn (UK)
Two Door Cinema Club: Sun (IRL)
Hot Chip: Night and day (UK)
Eugene McGuinness: Harlequinade (UK)
White Rabbits: Temporary(USA)
Bat for Lashes: Laura (UK)
Susanne Sundfør: The silicon veil (N)

Listen to all these wonderful songs on Spotify or Wimp.

No comments: